Monday, January 5, 2015

Perfect Maandazi




So let me tell you something about this extra delicious kind of bread called Maandazi, they are very famous particulary in the coastal areas such Zanzibar, Mombasa and Pemba but also widely loved in the East Africa.

Other than being quick and tasty dish to prepare, Maandazi was and would probably still be the source of income for many housewives as they would display their freshly fried maandazi at their door step or some would sell at convenient stores, and some would even walk around from street to street or have a shade at  popular areas in no specific time.

Now, you dont have to be a Zanzibari or East African to love this, believe me, the aromas of coconut milk and cardamoms will not keep you too far from loving this, as I was growing up and until today the trend of eating Maandazi has not faded at all. Its one of the quickest and satisfying food you can make anytime a day. When I make Maandazi in my home its always a double measurement coz my kids love it for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner if there's any leftovers.....

So, let me not keep you in suspense.....





Serves: 4
Preparation time:         20 minutes
Resting time to rise      45 mins to 1 hour depending on the temperature
Frying time:                 10 minutes



Ingredients:

4 Cups All purpose white flour
4 tspn dry yeast
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 coconut milk (can be substituted with warm milk)
1 tbl canola/veg oil (optional)
1 qt cooking vegetable oil (depending on the size of deep fryer)

Method:
Place half of the coconut milk/milk in a large mixing bowl, add the yeast and let it stand for about 5-7 minutes.

Once the yeast has bloomed, add the flour, sugar and cardamom powder, add the rest of the liquid and start the mixer , add the oil and keep on kneading for about 7-10 mins 

( if you are using your hand, make a big mountain with flour, make a well at the center and pour the liquid at the center and start mixing once combine, add the rest of your liquid and knead for about 10 mins)

Do not over knead your dough, if its little sticky its ok, just rub some greese in your hands and continue.

Divide the dough into 5 /6 equal potions ( depending what size you want).
Heat the vegetable oil deep fryer (250 c) ensure the oil quantity is at least ¾ the size of the fryer.


Place the dough on flat surface, sprinkle flour at the bottom and on top of the dough and roll out to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut them into 4 equal triangle potions and keep them for about 15-30 minutes (time may vary depending on the room temperature) to rise double the size.

Fry 3 or 4 Maandazi at a time depending on the size of the deep fryer.

Dip the Maandazi on the same facing side into hot oil, (the base will be at the bottom) they will rise like air filled balloons you need to flip them immediately to the other side. Fry the other side till they turn light brown and get them out. Do not over cook.
Keep them in a paper towel to drain any excessive oil.

Do not over knead the dough, the quicker the mix the better Maandazi will be very soft. While frying do not turn them before they rise, they will be very flat and also do not let them over rise they bust when rising they will be filled with oil.

Comments

Anonymous


21 comments:

  1. Hello Fathiya,
    Thank you very much for your nice recipe for Maandazi, I am from Goa,India I remember the good old days when I was young and was living and schooling in Mombasa and I ate Maandazi (Mahambri) every day on my way to school at a way side tea stall run by a Omani gentleman I would eat two Mahambris every day for breakfast and would wash them down with Tangawizi tea and when I returned from school I would eat viazi (potatoes) in curry at the same stall wrapped in newspaper which was also very tasty. Since I left Mombasa in 1969 and Now I an old man and missed mahambri,and viazi very much for so long at last I stumbled upon your webpage and your video on YouTube Good clear Instructions, now I will make my own Maandazi's based on your instructions, and share with my family, but I also miss the viazi, and Tangawizi do you have the recipe for the them? I would be much obliged if you will post the recipe? Thank you so much again and best wishes.
    Jossy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jossy,
      Thank you for your comments and as I read these wonderful memories you have I couldn't stop going back to my own childhood days. And yes I know what you mean with the food wrapped in newspapers, that got me laugh so hard. I will try my best to put out those recipes for you but I have to ask you to give me time, I am overwhelmed with alot of requests but I am working hard. Until then thank you so much for your kind words, stay well.
      Best regards
      Fathiya

      Delete
  2. Hello again,
    Thank you very much for your speedy reply, looking forward to your posts with patience.
    Regards
    Jossy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I will try my best before your patience run out ;)

      Delete
  3. Thank fatiya for the mandazi receipe now we await the Tangavizi receipe as the gentleman requested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jossy,

      I am so sorry it s taken me so long to get back to you, right ow am in Oman visiting my family. My intention was to make a video but I realized that its gonna take forever to get to that so I will just write you a simple recipe. Tangawizi as you know is ginger and we make make tea with that. Am not sure if you had it with milk or with out so I will assist you make that.

      For black tea:
      Boil water with fresh ginger (grate about tea spoon or more depending how strong you like it) and sugar and very little tea leaves

      For milk tea
      Make milk tea as normal and add ginger powder while cooking

      I hope I understood you right. Thanks take care

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalam alaikum. MashaAllah am very happy to have stumble on your channel. very informative. It has really boosted my cooking esteem. May Allah bless you. How can i contact you privately. have a couple of private questions and i need some advice from you. my email is kcarhaso@gmail.com. Looking forward. Shukran wa Jazzakallah kheir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aftam,

      Aleikum Musalaam you can contact me at aromaofzanzibar@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. HI Thanks so much for publishing this a life saver as was a million miles and 50 years
    since I had one in Zanzibar and brought back memmories.

    A cool summer day here in Uk and memories of long past and lost gone,
    Youve explained it so well and in real Indian terms Thanks again

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliff

      Thank you so much for taking time to pen down your thoughts on my page , am glad to know that you have enjoyed it just as much.

      Take care x

      Warm regards
      Fathiya

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      First I want to tell you my husband is of Indian decent but grew up in Zanzibar. I grew up in the US and am of european decent. My grandparents were born in Austria. We make a recipe called fry cakes. When I made them Kirit went crazy. He said this is maandzi bread from home. I looked up the recipe and sure enough it was the same except mine does not use coconut milk. How did two cultures so far apart get the same beloved recipe?

      Delete
    3. Hello Laura,
      Wonderful to hear from you, isn't that amazing how food travels through culture, there's got a be a connection my guess would be Portuguese but I will have to look into that to confirm. I understand there's a similar dish in Louisiana as well. My daughter has alot of Hispanic friends and when they tried Maandazi they said they have something similar .I am not sure of the name though. I guess the base is the same and then various cultures added their own touch like coconut, cardamom , cinnamon etc

      Thanks for stopping by, happy holidays!

      Delete
  7. ahsante sana, someone requested me make some mandazi so m going to try your recipy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve just tried your Mandazi recipe for the first time after living in Oman for just over 40 years and I’m typing this whilst waiting for them to rise. I just knew you would have family here and not just because you sound exactly like someone I know. In fact I’m going to ask her if you’re related. It’s a small world. Fingers crossed my mandazi rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope turned well. Yes my whole family in Oman, its a small world you never know

      Delete
  9. Hi,
    Which cup did you use to measure the flour?
    Is it a measuring cup? Or Mug?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use measuring cups for all my food is standard than using mugs

      Delete
  10. Nice article, keep it up.
    If you searching for best Resort & Spa booking in Zanzibar then you can also contact Madukha Tours & Safaris provider.

    ReplyDelete