Friday, June 26, 2015

Pastry Cream / Custard

Cream Patisserie as know in French and Pastry cream  is the culinary term for Custard and also what American call as " Pudding" . This is a simple cream or custard if you wish is very delicious and has very light, velvety textures and in so many desserts. Personally I love it and I always have it in the fridge for a quick dessert, be it a fruit tart, eclairs, Mille feuille ( Yes ! that would be my next post) trifles and the list is endless.

During my 6 weeks of pastry and baking in Culinary Arts School, I remember this being the first recipe that I was so excited to learn and I was able to figure out so quickly on how I could work with this beautiful cream with various twist and flavors. I have experimented a lot with it and I have had some beautiful creations and some not so good stuff too. I love the idea of infusing the milk with different flavors such as lavender or cinnamon. 
Pastry cream is one of the basic recipe to many complicated and fancy desserts, the process is very simple. The important thing here is to make sure that your milk doesn't boil and also your tempering is in control otherwise your eggs are going to break ( I have never experienced that) though I know and have seen it happening. Once you master it you will be able to adjust the thickness to your liking.

Once the cream is cooked, make sure that you drop it down to 45F within 1 hour and 1/2 . It is also important to store the cream in the fridge all the times as it is very sensitive in nature due to the use of egg yolks. It can be stored in the fridge upto 5 days ( I doubt though ;) coz its very delicious, if you have children like I do. 

Recipe:
1 1/2 Cups whole milk
1 Whole egg
4 Egg yolks
1/2 Cup sugar
2 Tbs corn starch
Vanilla bean or extract or any other of your liking
3 Tbls butter


Method:




1. Use a heavy sauce to bring the milk to a boil ( do not boil)

2. In a separate bowl, combine eggs and sugar and then whip to light and fluffy (ribbon
    stage)

3. Pour ( slowly) the hot milk into the egg mixture and stir

4. Once the milk is finished, pour all the mixture back into the sauce pan

5. Place the sauce pan on low heat and stir



6. Keep stirring till it thickens


7. Remove from the heat, add butter and stir till the butter has completely melted

8. Strain thru a mesh to get a smooth cream

9. Pour it into a ziplock bag or a shallow pan to allow it cool faster

10. Place it in ice water bath and then in the fridge till whenever you are ready to use.











No comments:

Post a Comment