Monday, January 12, 2015

Pate a Choux - Profite Rolls, Eclairs

Today, am gonna try and take you to the streets of Paris where you can imagine and taste one of the famous French treats such as Elclairs , Paris Brest , Croquembouche, Profit Rolls. Now these may appear to be just a few but the verities of 


filling that go into it is endless ; with that they tend to carry different names but the base of the pastry is Pate a Choux  , Choux (Shu)  Pastry also known as Cream Puffs.

Pate a choux is somewhat versatile and as forgiving and uncomplicated as can be, it also does require attention and willingness to whisk quickly , the quicker the better and you will have the cream puffs , eclairs and all other french pastries  holding up within your grasp. And by the way , you can use pate choux for savory treats too.

I should have written this blog may be 10 years ago after I visited France, I was so amused and excited that I bought every French cooking magazine that I came across even if it was just pictures but I had some idea! Thanks to the technology now I can just google and voila! I still buy cooking and baking books they are my assets, the oldest book is my baking book given to me when I was 13 yrs old and it has so many techniques that I never thought existed.

Now for the Pate a Choux, it took me sometime to get them perfect, The first time I worked on these were like 6 years ago and I must have made them at least 4 to 5 times until I got them right. When I say RIGHT; is to get them hard outside and hollow and soft inside, and to get that ...its all on the temperature . I have tried recipes that call for water only , and some milk only and also a combination of milk and water. The temperature varies between 400/350 , 400/375 , 400 all the way and I opted for  425/375 this works perfect for me although now using my new oven I noticed the tray which went on the lower rack of the oven were burnt..that's not good :(

So , hopefully I keep my fingers crossed that it works for you on your first attempt, but if it does not, please do not give up ..you just cant live peacefully knowing that you are missing such great pastries in life and am sure you will do much better once you have become familiar.  All the best!!!

Ingredient :

1/2 cup whole Milk
1/2 cup Water
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/4 tspn Salt
1/2 cup Butter ( 8 Tbl )
1 cup All purpose Flour












Method:

Pre heat oven 425F

In a heavy sauce pan, combine the milk, water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add the flour and stir until smooth with a heavy wooden spoon, stir for few minutes.

Turn the heat low and cook the flour mixture stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon, let it cook for about 5 mins. The flour will be cooked when a thin film forms on on the bottom and separates from the pan

Transfer the dough to the bowl of a mixer (I used a stand mixer) if you are not using a mixer, let the dough rest a minute or two. 

Slightly beat the eggs and mix into the dough on medium speed little at a time ,until the dough is thick yet silky and smooth. you can also add one egg at a time if you prefer to do so.   


Transfer the dough into pastry bag or just a Ziploc freezer bag. Pipe into any shapes that you like, it is not necessary to use a fancy tip if you dont have one ( I used wilton 1M)

Bake at 425 for 15 mins and then turn the oven down to 375 and continue to bake for 10 more mins.

Let the pastries cool, before you slice or fill them with either pastry cream, whipped cream etc. 
Cream puffs
Mini Croquembouche









2 comments:

  1. Thank you lovely variety! I currently make profiteroles only. Yours look much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I started that way too then later on I learnt the other stuff.

    ReplyDelete